Submittable online or postal-mail entries.)
Online entries via
Upload your writing online by midnight Friday, May 18th.
Please read guidelines carefully to insure best service. For a printable
version of the guidelines, click here.
Or, via postal mail (address below) or
Postmark postal entries by May 18, 2018.
Mail Entries to:
New Letters Awards for Writers
UMKC, University House
5101 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
***Note: The $24 entry
fee includes a one-year subscription (4 issues) to New Letters magazine
for those entrants residing in the continental United States. Overseas entrants
will need to pay an additional $15 postal surcharge, if they would like to
receive the subscription.
UPLOAD WITH EACH ENTRY:
- Two cover sheets: The first with complete name, address, email/phone number, genre, and title; and the second with genre and title only.
- Your personal information should not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- The cover sheets should be included in the same file as your
RULES AND NOTES:
- Simultaneous submissions of
unpublished entries are accepted with proper notification upon acceptance
- All entries will be considered for
publication in New Letters.
- Essay entries should not exceed
- Multiple entries are accepted with
- No substitutions after
submissions. No refunds
will be offered for withdrawn material.
- Current students and employees of
the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and current volunteer members of
the New Letters and BkMk Press staffs, are not eligible.
- Finalists are notified in
mid-August, after preliminary judging.
- Final judging selects one
winner and one runner-up in each category, announced the third week of
- Judges have the option to select
work for second runner-up and honorable mentions.
- All finalists are listed in
the New Letters issue in which the winners are published.
- These and all other entries will
be considered for publication by the New Letters editor.
HISTORY OF THE AWARDS COMPETITION
New Letters established its
Awards for Writers in 1986 to discover and reward new writers and to encourage
more established writers to try new genres or new work in competition. The
contest is open to any writer. In order to assure fairness throughout the
decision process, all judging is done anonymously and by writers outside
the New Letters staff, with two rounds of judges making
finalist and winner decisions.