We’re looking for work that experiments, that crosses the traditional boundaries of genre and form. Enter your hybrid work—your lyric essays, prose poems, short-shorts, collages, micro-memoirs . . . whatever you’re doing that’s experimental, that defies easy categorization.
- Max word count is 8,000.
- The entry must be previously unpublished.
- Entries must cross the traditional boundaries of genre and form.
Rules, Tips, & Notes:
- $20 entry fee for each manuscript submitted. A one-year subscription to New Letters, shipped to any address within the United States, is included in the price of the first entry. (Subscriptions mailed outside the U.S. require a $20 postal surcharge.)
- No substitutions or revisions may be made after a manuscript has been submitted. Edits can be considered prior to publication, if the manuscript wins the award.
- Multiple entries are welcome with appropriate fees. All entries are considered for publication, even if not the winner.
- The winner will be announced in early March 2021.
- The winner will be published in New Letters and receive a $1,000 cash prize.
- Online entries via Submittable only. Entries received through the postal mail will not be accepted and will be recycled upon receipt.
- Current students and employees at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and current volunteer members of the New Letters and BkMk Press staffs are not eligible.